Friday, April 30, 2010

happiness comes

"Today is the day that I've waited for" I thought to myself. My toes buried in sand. My back slightly arched and my weight resting on both elbows. My face towards the sun. I looked around and saw a small amount of people scattered down the shore. One man sitting fully clothed only a few feet away from the water. His legs crossed and his gaze fixated in a book. He looked as though he had been sitting there for hours and prepared to sit there for many more. He looked so comfortable. Another woman was tanning about 10 ft away from me while her daughter (who reminded me of Mowgli from the Jungle Book) was running around topless, playing in the sand. The water was cerulean blue and lazy with no direction or urge. The sun was warm but a light breeze relieved the heat, creating the perfect temperature. I can't remember what song was playing on my ipod but I'm sure it was perfect for the emotions I was feeling. Those emotions including: enlightened, content, euphoric. I thought about the long shower I was going to take post beach, the lunch I was going to eat, the language lesson I had later and the long walk I was planning after that. I had the freedom of TIME. One day during the week that was unexpectedly mine. A day that I took total control of. My first amazing day in Italy. It only took 46 days.

No comments: